Sunday 22 June 2014

Learning a Language


Hand on Chinese dictionary"The UK's education system is failing to produce enough people with foreign-language skills to meet a growing need from business, the CBI has said."

I am all for children learning languages as I chose to learn French when I was in Year 1 at Primary School in my lunch breaks, and I enjoyed it a lot as I had a good teacher and she made the lessons interesting.

However even though I had lessons from Year 1 up until Year 9 at secondary school, but I haven't used it in so long that my French isn't what it should be.

What I found was learning the language was so interesting and I picked it up so quickly when I was a child but still I haven't used it since I learnt it.

I find this a waste as I spent time learning the language and I have only used it a few times when I have visited France.


"Some 41% of businesses said knowledge of a foreign language was beneficial, while 28% believed language skills would help to build relations with overseas contacts.
French (50%), German (49%) and Spanish (44%) were identified as the most useful languages.
A total of 31% wanted staff who could speak Mandarin and 23% demanded Arabic skills.
Others identified Polish (19%), Russian (18%), Cantonese (16%) and Japanese (15%)."

I don't believe that we should pressure children into learning a language even though it is beneficial but you may get children like me who learn it, enjoy learning it but don't use the language so much to the point where you forget a lot of it, and only remember the basics of it.

All of these quotes came from the BBC News 2014. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27948049   

No comments:

Post a Comment